Sunday, July 22, 2012

Waiting for 'The Master' (from a P.T. Anderson fanboy)

Has anybody seen the new trailer for new Paul Thomas Anderson film, The Master? Well, if you haven't, here you go...


It's unbelievably Andersonian, from its astonishingly crisp shots to it's unorthodox but effective music (working again with Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood after their spectacular combination in There Will Be Blood). And I know you're probably foolish for judging a performance from a two-and-a-half minute trailer, but Phoenix looks to be at his fierce finest in a role that could probably bring him back into the public's good graces after his much noted failed experiment I'm Still Here. And the cast around him, including Oscar-winner Philip Seymour Hoffman and Amy Adams, are some of the most consistent talent in Hollywood right now, and working with a genius filmmaker known for his work with actors, it's easy to assume they'll be superb. I've had a friend tell me that Anderson only looks like an "Actor's Director" because he only gets the good actors. Well, let's stop to see why they want to work for him in the first place.

The film is slotted for a very cozy October 12th release, which pleases me since I won't have to sort through the December prestige film glut. Hopefully I will be in New York by this time so that way I won't have to wait till Thanksgiving for it to get to my town. PTA FTW!

No comments: