Friday, January 9, 2009

Magic At The Broadcast Film Critics Awards

MAGIC AT THE BROADCAST FILM CRITICS AWARDS

Forgive me for not watching the "Critics Choice Awards" last night, but I find it hard to take it seriously when 1) it decides to broadcast itself on VH1 and 2) the BFCA makes the Hollywood Foreign Press look like the American Film Institute. I chuckle that they even have the gaul to call themselves the "critics choice" awards on their broadcast. But I digress, while seeing highlights of the ceremony, there actually was one magical moment I would have loved to see live...



That's right, it's a tie! There are so many things to love about this TV clip. For starters, there's the overflowing, yet hysterical acceptance speech from Hathaway ("I don't know how to win awards, I know how to not get nominated for awards"). There's the great wit and grace with which Viola Davis accepted the award for the missing Meryl Streep ("She would have especially thanked me"). But even better (and more memorable) is the metallic ice queen glare Angelina Jolie seems to be shooting at everyone when she didn't win for Changeling. Note to Angelina: pouting doesn't get you brownie points with the Academy.

More to the point, though: I know this was a tie, but this is a very big win for Hathaway. Not because the BFCA means anything, but because her youthful enthusiasm at the podium reminds me greatly of Marion Cotillard. Remember how well Cotillard played the press and later upended Julie Christie in the end? Don't be surprised if Hathaway is able to do the same thing, especially after Streep's soliliquy on refusing to campaign for her awards (like she has to). Streep is still the front-runner, but the wedge between her and Hathaway just got a whole lot smaller with that win last night.

No comments: